So these are an adaption on a recipe I found in one of my many cookbooks. As soon as I find the original source, I’ll cite it.
But until then, enjoy this recipe for grain free, egg free, dairy free snackies that are high in protein and actually taste good. I make two batches of these each week. One for me and my wife, and one for her best friend. This recipe gets the gold stamp of approval from hard working police officers and military folks!
Chocolate Protein Bars
PREP: 15 minutes BAKE: 50 minutes TOTAL TIME: 1hr 5min
- 2/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- ½ cup green pumpkin seeds
- 8 Deglet Noor Dates (honey dates)
- 2 cups almond meal/ground almonds
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
(or be fancy and go half white chocolate and half dark chocolate! Or get really fancy (and horribly expensive) and use cocoa nibs)
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 tbsp whey powder
- 4 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- up to 1 cup honey/maple syrup/whatever sweetener you want
(…or don’t, if you have an aversion to awesomness…whatever, it’s up to you.)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup almond butter (at room temperature, I can’t stress this one enough. Unless you’re looking to skip arm day at the gym that butter needs to be room temp.)
- Preheat oven to 200 F. Line a 9”x13” baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor combine: coconut, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and dates. Blend the hell out of it until it’s kinda like coffee grounds. Pour into large bowl.
- With a spoon, stir in almond meal, coconut flour, chocolate chips, wanuts, whey powder, cocoa and honey (if you’re using it.)
- Stir in coconut milk and almond butter.
- Smoosh into pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until firm to the touch.
Recipe easily halved, but really…why would you? But if you want to: Cut all ingredients in half, bake in 9”x9” for 50ish minutes